Foods That Improve Teeth Whitening
We humans are all born with natural teeth as white as pearl that gives us a beautiful smile and enhances our appearance. But over time, due to certain foods and lifestyle habits, our teeth discolor and lose the whiteness to become yellow or grayish. And the food that we eat regularly contributes even further in aggravating the conditions of the teeth to a large extent.
Our teeth contain the layer, which is the enamel and this layer is covered by yet another colorless and clear layer of protein called pellicle. The food we eat on a regular basis sticks to the protein pellicle layer, thus causing the stains in our teeth.
Some foods that can cause potential damage to our teeth over time are:
- Acidic Foods - like some citrus fruits, can cause discoloration of the teeth.
- Hot or Cold Fluids - can increase tooth sensitivity and can as well cause discoloration.
- Beverages - such as tea and coffee are the worst enemies of our teeth. Others like soy sauce, cola, and red wine are also potentially detrimental for the teeth.
- Sweets and Chocolates - if eaten in abundance can lead to the development of harmful bacteria that causes discoloration of teeth.
- Smoking - also leads to the formation of yellowish stains caused due to the deposits of nicotine.
While there are many foods that stain the teeth, there are some foods that can actually prevent the development of stains. Foods are the best and the cheapest ways of improving the color of our teeth without making too many efforts. Also these are the natural solutions to achieving the best method of teeth whitening that would not have any side effects. Our gums would not be harmed by such foods as well.
So what are those foods that can prevent discoloration of teeth?
- Strawberries: Strawberries can actually improve the color of teeth. You can either eat strawberries in its raw form, or you can as well rub crushed strawberries on the teeth to bring that shining effect. You can even make a blend of some crushed strawberries and some baking soda and use this blend for brushing your teeth twice every week. But you must clean your mouth thoroughly after using this blend, because if left for too long, the acid and sugar content of strawberries can cause severe tooth decay and/or enamel erosion.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has a bleaching effect on our teeth. It can be mixed with baking soda to form a paste and this paste can be used for brushing the teeth.
- Orange Peel: The inner part of orange peel can be used for brining out that dazzling smile. You can rub the inner part of orange peel onto your teeth to see the difference.
- Crunchy Fruits and Vegetables: Foods like apples, cauliflower, carrots, pears, celery and similar other crunchy vegetables and fruits can help in cleaning the teeth and preventing stains as well. These foods contain natural fibers which come into contact with the saliva to help in removing all the food particles and the bacteria that cause stains.
Cosmetic Dentistry Experts
View More Articles [+]